Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thursday, July 24...Power of Video

Center Court:  "What is your 'local vision'?"
-Lessen the meeting time, flipped PD
-Tech time, set a repeated event on your calendar

Oregon Benefit Company-Google it

-What is it?

"Brain Rules" John Medina Video...http://www.brainrules.net/brain-rules-video

Vision trumps all other senses, picture says a 1,000 words
  • Hear it, remember 3 days later 10% of the time
  • Hear it and see, remember 3 days later 65% of the time
The Power of Video:

-Todd showed us several 3-4 minute clips which are on his webpage.  Examples are below.
  1. Text is...
  2. Technology and Education: student produced video
    1. bozemanscience.com-Posted science videos
How will I use this technology in my "local" vision?
-Start a family blog
-Use these new applications (Dropbox, blogger, Google apps, iTunes U., Slideshare, Evernote, Twitter account)
-Share and collaborate with my staff
-Create time for them to innovate and use technology


Reflection:

Unfortunately, this class in only a week.  There is so much to learn and I feel that I have only begun to understand all the resources that are available.  For each of the programs, tools, and apps. we have learned, I could spend at least a week playing with it and trying to figure out how to implement it into my practice.  Take for example the work with did today with iMovie.  I barely understand the program after about an hour playing with it.  Imagine what I could do if I really spent time learning how to use it.  

"Vision trumps all senses."  If we really want someone to remember something, we need to create visual media displaying our message.  I like the idea presenting information in the form of a video.  The task seems daunting because of the time it would take to make a quality video, but I know for sure that the more I use iMovie, the more proficient I would get at using it.

For my final project presentation, I incorporated the ideas about presentations that we learned yesterday...simple, visual, and clear.  I am eager to hear and gather feedback from my colleagues about my presentation.  In keeping with the spirit of learning new technology, I created my presentation using a web based program that I have never used before.  The presentation program is called Prezi.  I feel I am adept at using Powerpoint, but this program is fairly easy to use and much more interactive/entertaining.  

My presentation took me about twice as long to create in Prezi than it would have in Powerpoint, but I am sure the next time I use this program, it will not take long at all.  As I may have stated before, I often learn more from my mistakes than doing things right the first time.  Using Prezi, I made a lot of mistakes, but in the process I feel I really learned how to navigate the program.  Learning for me needs to be hands on and I appreciated getting the opportunity to play in iMovie today as well as learning about Prezi while doing my presentation. 

I look forward to hearing about everyone's presentation tomorrow.  Thank you again for reading my blog.

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts about what you're learning. Can't wait to see your Prezi tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your presentation in prezi. I used the google presentation application and I was underwhelmed with the capabilities and I wish I had explored prezi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I often learn more from my mistakes than doing things right the first time." Isn't this so true! And often if I get it right the first time, I don't recall it as well as those things I really had to work on, but I also remember it much better when I get to work with it repeatedly. I'm excited to see your presentation (and learn more from it) :). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete